NEW DELHI: Fighter jets and transport aircraft of the Indian Air Force on Sunday carried out fly-pasts over major cities and towns while military choppers showered petals on leading hospitals across the country as part of a mega exercise to express gratitude to lakhs of doctors, paramedics and other front-line workers battling the coronavirus pandemic. Meanwhile, India registered a record jump of 83 deaths and 2,487 cases in 24 hours as the number of Covid-19 fatalities rose to 1,306 and total cases climbed to 40,263, according to the Union health ministry.
Here are the top developments:
- The third phase of the countrywide lockdown begins Monday with “considerable relaxations”, but curbs will continue in containment areas so that the gains achieved so far in the fight against COVID-19 are not “squandered away”, officials said.
- According to the home ministry, activities prohibited throughout the country, irrespective of the zones are: air, rail, metro travel; inter-state movement by road; schools, colleges, and other educational, training and coaching institutions; hospitality services, including hotels and restaurants.
- Union health minister Dr Harsh Vardhan said that India’s Covid-19 mortality rate of 3.2 per cent is the lowest in the world and over 10,000 coronavirus patients have been discharged from hospitals after recovering from the disease, so far.
- Vardhan said the rate of growth of new Covid-19 cases has been steadying for a while and the recovery rate improving, adding that India is on the path of success and will win the war against the pandemic.
- The continuous rise in the number of people testing positive for coronavirus is expected to stabilise anytime soon, Niti Aayog member V K Paul said. He also said the rationale behind the government’s decision to extend the lockdown by two more weeks is to consolidate the gains of the first and second phase of restrictions.
- Sports minister Kiren Rijiju said his ministry is devising a plan to ensure a phased resumption of national camps for Olympic-bound athletes by the end of this month but others might have to wait till at least September.
- In a relief for engineering and medical aspirants, the HRD ministry said fresh dates for competitive exams –JEE and NEET– will be announced on May 5.
- Indian Railways has issued a set of guidelines for its zones for running the Shramik special trains to ferry stranded people, saying the trains should have at least 90 per cent occupancy to operate. Railways said the local state government authority shall handover tickets of such trains to passengers cleared by them and collect the ticket fare and hand over the total amount to Railways.
- In a move to increase the current testing capacity for Covid-19 in India, orders have been placed for close to 6.3 million RT-PCR testing kits.
- Delhi: 384 more Covid-19 cases have been reported from the national capital, taking the total number of coronavirus cases in the city to 4,122.
- Andhra Pradesh: The major Covid-19 hotbed Kurnool continued to be a cause for worry as it contributed 30 out of the 58 fresh cases reported in Andhra Pradesh as the state’s aggregate rose further to 1,583.
- Uttar Pradesh: The number of coronavirus cases in Uttar Pradesh rose to 2,579 with 92 more people testing positive for the infection.
- Puducherry: A Covid-19 patient was discharged from a hospital after recovery from the infection, taking the total number discharges to three so far. The number of active cases in the UT has come down to three.
- Uttarakhand: One more person tested positive for Covid-19 at AIIMS, Rishikesh, taking the total number of cases to 60 in the state.
- Karnataka: Thirteen new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Karnataka, taking the total number of infections in the state to 614.
- Chandigarh: A 82-year-old Covid-19 patient from Chandigarh passed away in Panchkula. This is the first death related to Covid-19 from the Union territory. 94 Covid-19 positive cases have been reported so far.
- Rajasthan: The state reported three more coronavirus deaths, while 60 people tested positive for the virus, taking the total number in Rajasthan to 2,832 and the death toll to 71.
- Ladakh: As many as 19 people tested positive for coronavirus in Ladakh, taking the virus tally in the Union territory to 41.
- Odisha: Five more persons, including two returnees each from Surat and Kolkata, tested positive for Covid-19 in Odisha, taking the total number of such cases in the state to 162.
- Haryana: Haryana has so far recorded a total of 422 cases of coronavirus.
- Tripura: The government offices in Tripura will function normally from May 4, and all categories of employees will work from the office.
- Bihar: Four more persons tested positive for Covid-19, taking the total number of cases in Bihar to 485.
- Tamil Nadu: Total positive cases of Covid-19 stand at 3,023 in the state till date. So far, 1,379 people have been discharged and 1,611 active cases are under treatment.
- Himachal Pradesh: The total number of active Covid-19 cases in Himachal Pradesh stands just at one. Out of the total 40 positive Covid-19 cases in the state, 34 patients have recovered so far, while four have migrated, and one death has been reported.
- Kerala: No new positive cases of Covid-19 were reported in Kerala, even as the government declared four more regions in the state as hotspots, taking the total to 84.
- J&K: The number of Covid-19 infections in Jammu and Kashmir crossed the 700 mark with 35 new cases being detected.
- Punjab: 331 new cases of Covid-19 have been reported in Punjab, taking the total number of cases in the state to 1,102.
- The novel coronavirus has killed at least 243,637 people since the outbreak first emerged last December. More than 3,441,540 cases were registered in 195 countries and territories. Of these, at least 1,055,500 are now considered recovered.
- Donald Trump will wrap himself in the mantle of America’s arguably greatest president with a TV extravaganza at the Lincoln Memorial meant to leave the coronavirus crisis behind and relaunch his election campaign. The US has the highest number of total deaths with 66,385 out of 1,133,069 cases.
- China has reported 14 new Covid-19 cases, including 12 asymptomatic ones, taking the number of infections in the country to 82,877 while over 4,630 people have succumbed to the deadly virus.
- Russia reported more than 10,000 new cases of coronavirus infections, the first time the country’s daily tally reached five figures. Russia has recorded more than 134,000 coronavirus infections overall and 1,420 deaths.
- Germany has confirmed 793 new Covid-19 cases over the past 24 hours, taking the total to 1,62,496.
- Singapore recorded 657 new coronavirus cases, most of whom are foreign workers, taking the total number of Covid-19 infections to 18,205.
- Pakistan’s coronavirus tally crossed 19,000 after 989 new patients were diagnosed in the last 24 hours. 23 patients died in this period, taking the total toll to 440.
- Spain counted another 164 coronavirus deaths, the lowest daily number in nearly seven weeks as the country begins to gradually lift its strict lockdown. The figures from the health ministry bring the total number of fatalities from the pandemic in Spain to 25,264.
- Nepal has confirmed 10 new coronavirus cases, taking the total number of infections to 69 in the country.