Viswanathan Anand returns home, stays away from family | Chess News

CHENNAI: It was a different homecoming for Viswanathan Anand here on Saturday evening. He was greeted by a big wave from his wife Aruna and son Akhil, but from a distance. While Anand returned to the comforts of his home, it will take a week more for him to actually be spending time with family.
As per the quarantine rules, Anand has spent the mandatory 7-day institutional quarantine in Bengaluru, and will now have to complete 7 days of home quarantine. This means the 50-year-old gets to meet Aruna and Akhil only next Sunday (June 14). The earlier rule from the Union Home Ministry stated that foreign returnees had to undergo a compulsory institutional quarantine for 14 days. However, a revised guideline issued towards the end of last month allowed overseas travelers to be in institutional quarantine only for seven days. After a medical assessment, they were allowed to complete the remaining half of the quarantine period at home.
Anand’s swab tests on Friday returned negative and on Saturday afternoon, he underwent a medical check-up in Bengaluru before boarding the flight to Chennai. Ahead of his departure, the five-time world champion took to Twitter to thank the medical staff for their support. “I would like to thank the medical staff and doctors who did our screening daily. Their work and patience in dealing with so many of us has to be commended. My deepest gratitude to all of you,” he tweeted.
Despite being in the middle of a quarantine phase, Anand will finally get a taste of home-cooked food after a gap of over three months. “It is a relief to have him back. However, we will continue to interact with each other over Skype calls. That’s usually the practice whenever he trains. Anand will have a separate room with a verandah and won’t be allowed to come out. We will keep the food at the verandah and he can take it from there,” Aruna told TOI. Anand had arrived from Germany last Saturday where he had gone to play in the Bundesliga chess and was subsequently stranded for over three months.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *